Last updated by The Canadian Press
at 11:08 on August 31, 2015, EST.
or call 416-507-2019
for more details on
current news on your website.
Mohamed Fahmy,two other Al-Jazeera journalists sentenced to 3 years in prison
CAIRO - An Egyptian court has sentenced Canadian Mohammed Fahmy and two other Al-Jazeera English journalists to three years in prison, the last twist in a long-running trial criticized worldwide by press freedom advocates and human rights activists.
Fahmy faced widely denounced terror charges and had spent more than a year in prison before a successful appeal of an earlier conviction resulted in the re-trial which culminated in today's verdict.
Toronto forward Sebastian Giovinco pulls out of Italy squad with injury, days after recall
FLORENCE, Italy - Toronto FC forward Sebastian Giovinco has pulled out of the Italy squad with an injury, two days after he was recalled by coach Antonio Conte following an absence of almost a year.
Giovinco was substituted early in the second half of Saturday's win against Montreal Impact with an adductor muscle injury but still flew to Italy to join the squad.
Blue Jays name Mark Shapiro as next president and CEO
TORONTO - Mark Shapiro is the next president of the Toronto Blue Jays.
The team says Shapiro will replace longtime president and CEO Paul Beeston at the end of this season.
ENTERTAINMENT NEWSReporter, cameraman shot to death on live television in Virginia; gunman dies at hospital
MONETA, Va. - A TV reporter and cameraman were shot to death during a live television interview Wednesday by a gunman who recorded himself carrying out the killings and posted the video on social media after fleeing the scene.
Authorities identified the suspect as a journalist who had been fired from the station earlier this year. Hours later and hundreds of miles away, he crashed a vehicle and troopers found him suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He died at a hospital later Wednesday, auth
Saskatchewan city under precautionary boil-water advisory due to 'process error'
NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. - Residents of a Saskatchewan city are being told to boil their tap water as a precaution because it might be contaminated.
The Saskatchewan Water Security Agency says the entire city of North Battleford, with a population of about 14,000, is under a boil-water advisory.